Current Club Status
Bright Stars FC is the only team from Kawempe Division playing in the Uganda top flight football-Azam Uganda Premier League.
We were crowned champions of FUFA BIG League 2012/2013 season after finishing top in the Rwenzori Group and also won National Big League play off final following a 2-1 victory over CRO at Mehta stadium in Lugazi. This guaranteed the club a ticket to the FSL
Bright Stars FC played its first top flight game against Sports Club Victoria University (SCVU) at Nakivubo stadium on 23rd August 2013. Final score was Bright Stars FC 0-1 SCVU.
About Bright Stars:
Bright Stars FC has proved to be one of the best foundations for young Ugandan footballers since its inception in 1997.Talented players like Hussein Mayanja who played for Kinyara FC, Robert Male and Yayo Lutimba with Express FC, Brian ‘Malouda’ Mugisha with Rwenshama have all gone through the hands of Bright Stars FC.
Bright Stars FC is the only team from Kawempe Division playing in the Uganda top flight football (Azam Uganda Premier League) of 16 teams.
We were crowned champions of FUFA BIG League at the end of the 2012/2013 season after finishing top in the Rwenzori Group to qualify for the top flight under coach John Kayanja who is now at Simba FC.
Bright Stars FC beat CRO 2-1 in the FUFA Big League play off final at Mehta stadium in Lugazi to take the overall trophy of the FUFA Big League.
Bright Stars FC played its first top flight game against Sports Club Victoria University (SCVU) at Nakivubo stadium on 23rd August 2013. Final score was Bright Stars FC 0-1 SCVU. The goal was scored by Manko Kaweesa.
Nakivubo stadium was our home ground on the maiden season in the top league but the club has since moved to the spacious and wonderful scenery of Mwererwe grounds off Matugga.
Iconic figures at Bright Stars:
• John Kayanja will always be remembered in the club’s history having guided Bright Stars FC to the top flight
• Former Cranes international Livingstone Mbabazi was the first coach to handle Bright stars FC on their maiden season in the FUFA Super League
• Hussein Mayanja was the first player to score for Bright Stars FC in the FUFA Super League. He scored in Bright Stars 1-0 away win against CRO in Mbale.
• Muwanga Bernard was the first captain of Bright Stars FC in the club’s top flight debut season in the FUFA Super League.
• Former Cranes international Willy Kyambadde played a key role in the midfield on thefinal day of the FUFA Big League season 2012/2013 as Bright stars qualified for the top league.
• Identify and develop talent particularly through football.
• Foster the spirit of brotherhood among the communities in Kawempe and rest of Uganda through sports.
• Uplift the standard of the youths through sports, religion, education and creation of jobs.
• Equip and encourage youths in the Kawempe community and other parts of Uganda to achieve their targets through objective, fair and proper channels.
• Help in enhancing members’ chances of gaining more experience through attending various sports seminars.
• Establish, maintain and strengthen positive but meaningful relations with other communities and the disadvantaged groups.
The membership of Bright Stars FC is open to all well-wishers both from Kawempe and within Uganda and abroad.
Currently we have about 1000 registered members and registration is on-going. Members are issued with identification cards upon registration at the start of a new season.
The club also has a fully fans’ group that brings together the supporters to discuss about how they can support the team during the season.